The Shunda Mountain Fire Lookout
An Easy Trail with great views of the front range
Based on a visit to the area on August 18, 2013
The gated fire road makes for an easy way to reach a summit with views of the forested foothills, the Brazeau Range and the front range of the Rockies.
The foothills to the east
The Rockies to the west
For those looking for a great hiking experience, Coliseum Mountain and Eagle Mountain Ridge offer better options with similar views. This trail is shared with off road vehicles and walking up the fire road can be tedious. It does offer the shortest distance to a summit however and is a great option with kids or when you’re a little short on time.
Plan Your Adventure
Trail conditions can change quickly. The map and directions below are based on our hike in the area on August 18, 2013.
- Activity: Hike
- Distance: 5.6 km return
- Elevation Gain: ~390 m
- Challenge Level: Easy
- Family Friendly: Yes – no strollers
- Trail Type: There and back
- Trail Conditions: Good
- Season: May to October
- Congestion: Moderate
- Alternate Descriptions: The David Thompson Highway – A Hiking Guide includes a version of this hike.
- Trailhead: The is located a short drive north of Nordegg. From highway 11, follow Shunda Creek Road and keep right onto Baldy Mountain Road, continuing onto Baldy Tower Road. The trailhead is at the gate on the road, located approximately 6.5 km from highway 11.
Enjoy the comfort that comes with a guide who knows the area’s trails, wildlife and terrain so that you can focus on your adventure, while the rest is taken care of.
- Management: Alberta Environment
- Protection Status: Kiska/Wilson PLUZ
- Other Trail Uses: Off Highway Vehicles
- Dogs Allowed: Yes
- Permits / Restrictions: No access to the fire lookout
- Cell Reception: Good
Head Out With A Guide
Make the most of your adventure and head out with a guide. Pursuit Adventures offers guided hikes from April to November. Get in touch with them to plan your custom adventure to Shunda Mountain Fire Lookout.
Head Out On Your Own
Sometimes you just want to head out on your own to explore the area. We get it. Here’s the guide for the Shunda Mountain Fire Lookout trail.
Access Trail | 2.8 km
- 1.6 km | Junction
- 1.9 km | Junction
- 2.8 km | Fire Lookout
Return Trail | 2.8 km
- Retrace your steps back to the trailhead
To head back to the trailhead, simply retrace your footstep.
- For your safety and the protection of the area please follow trail signs, stay on the trail and respect all trail closures
- Be respectful of wildlife and familiarize yourself with wildlife safety techniques including keeping your pet on a leash and keeping your group together.
- Always use the bear proof garbage bin, keep a clean site and store your food in a bear safe fashion.
- Always be prepared when travelling outdoors.
- This area has good cell phone reception. We recommend carrying an InReach on your hikes. The nearest phone is Nordegg.
- Information provided here may be inaccurate or outdated. Always make sure to obtain current information before going on your adventure.
There are inherent risks in outdoor activities. Although we strive to provide accurate information and to alert you of potential dangers, trail conditions may change quickly due to weather conditions and other factors. Using the information provided on this site is entirely at your own risk and Pursuit Adventures is in no ways liable for any injuries or other damages that may be sustained by anyone using the trails or information described on this site.
Have you been to this trail? Let us know about your adventure in the comments below.