The views from the campground
One of the most scenic campground
Based on numerous visit to the area, including on July 15, 2013, September 29, 2014, September 13, 2015 and September 4, 2016.
A great basecamp to explore the western parts of David Thompson Country with lots of hiking trails nearby.
Every site offers great views of the mountains and sites are well spaced, providing privacy for your group adventure. Dry toilets, firewood and a water pump (no potable water) is available at most sites. Some of the sites are more popular than others, especially those with kitchen shelters.
Great views throughout this campground
Kitchen shelter on the Kootenay Plains
The 8 sites can accommodate from 7 to 30 units each and 4 of those sites include a kitchen shelter, making it an ideal spot for groups of all size.
This campground might be close to the national parks and the popular Icefields Parkway but it still has a remote feel to it. While campgrounds in Banff National Park and Jasper National Park book early, you can still make reservations here for a group in the middle of the season.
Plan Your Adventure
The information below is based on our numerous visit to the area, including on July 15, 2013, September 29, 2014, September 13, 2015 and September 4, 2016.
- Activity: Camping
- Season: May – October
- Site Fees: $195 per night for the first 5 units. $29 per additional unit. $12 reservation fee per stay.
- Number of Sites: 8 unserviced group sites (7 to 30 units per site)
- Congestion: Minimal
- Picnic Tables: Yes
- Washroom: Dry toilets
- Water: Not potable
- Firewood: Supplied
- Kitchen Shelter: Yes on sites 1, 4, 5 & 7
- Playground: No
- Getting There: Cavalcade Group Campground is located on Highway 11 approximately 28 km east of Saskatchewan River Crossing and 65 km west of Nordegg.
Contact Pursuit Adventures to start planning a custom adventure that includes a stay at this campground.
- Management: Alberta Parks
- Protection Status: Kootenay Plains Provincial Recreation Area
- Campground Operator: Westward Bound Campgrounds
- Campground Host: Operator located at Two O’Creek Campground
- Day Use Pass Required: No
- Reservations: Required
- Check-in: 4 pm
- Check-out: 2 pm
- Dogs Allowed: Yes on leash
- Cell Reception: None
Find Your Adventure
Take the time to explore the region while staying here. You’ll find trails, heli tours and more nearby.
- For your safety and the protection of the area please follow signs, stay on the trail and respect all trail closures
- Be respectful of wildlife and familiarize yourself with wildlife safety techniques including keeping your pet on a leash and keeping your group together.
- Always use the bear proof garbage bin, keep a clean site and store your food in a bear safe fashion.
- Always be prepared when travelling outdoors.
- This area has no cell phone reception. We recommend carrying an InReach on your adventures. A pay phone is available across the highway from the campground entrance.
- Information provided here may be inaccurate or outdated. Always make sure to obtain current information before going on your adventure.
There are inherent risks in outdoor activities. Although we strive to provide accurate information and to alert you of potential dangers, trail conditions may change quickly due to weather conditions and other factors. Using the information provided on this site is entirely at your own risk and Pursuit Adventures is in no ways liable for any injuries or other damages that may be sustained by anyone using the trails or information described on this site.
Have you been to this campground? Let us know about your adventure in the comments below.